From Sailboat to Trawler

From Sailboat to Trawler
M/V ENDEAVOR

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

BEFORE

 Back in October when I flew down to Florida for the survey (similar to a home inspection) of the boat it was hauled out of the water on a "Travel Lift" and all the below water parts were examined. At that time the bottom was quite clean and smooth and there was very little growth. In fact, it was so clean that I opted not to have the hull power washed. --------That was then------This is now.

                                                          Rear of boat. (Note the prop shaftand blade)           


Front as she comes out of the water
I think I was growing a garden down there

We did not knw how bad it was and had been thinking about just hiring a guy to do a bottom scrub (This is where a guy in scuba gear spends an hour or more under your boat in the water scrubbing and scraping to get the growth--grasses, barnacles, etc.---off the hull.) If the bottom paint on the hull is in good shape these things come off very easily and sometimes there's no growth at all. Obviously, our bottom paint was depleted  and the whole underwater part of the boat needs to be cleaned and repainted. The surveyor, back in October told me he thought the paint was nearing the end of its life but I didn't think it would happen this quickly. I've owned 5 boats that basically
stay in the water full time and this is the worst growth I've ever experienced. 
(Unfortunately, when I bought the boat the selling broker was unable to provide me with any maintenance history so I had no idea when the last bottom job had been done)
So, it was on to the travel lift again for a complete bottom job that should then last 2 to 3 years if care is taken to have it scrubbed by a diver on a regular basis---or we can do it when we're out somewhere at anchor with smooth water.


My next post will be entitled, "AFTER"

BUTTTTT!!!!
This will be the last of major work as we near the time when we can set out on some at-sea adventures. She is shaping up quite nicely and we're ready to go. We just have to get the boat onto the same page.




No comments:

Post a Comment