From Sailboat to Trawler

From Sailboat to Trawler
M/V ENDEAVOR

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Roll Tide

Well, we have successfuly crossed through 3 states and are now in our 4th, Alabama. We parked for the night at The Marina at the Wharf, a very nice marina right on the ICW in Orange Beach. It is associated with a huge commercial/ condo/ entertainment development (what a contrast to Moss point). Slept in today--until 6:30-- and are spending a relaxing day here (will take in a movie at their 16 screen theater) and dinner out--probably Italian--tonight. Tomorrow we'll move to a different marina--just to enjoy the variety--and then on Saturday we sail to Pensacola where we will leave the boat for the holidays. We've made arangements at a marina right downtown at the historic section of town. I'll return after the first of the year, hopefully with at least one crew member, to sail over to Appalachacola or points farther south.
One of the things we learned from the Rachel's gang is that our mast is too tall (50 feet plus antennae and other assorted devices) to get under some of the bridges in the Destin, Ft Walton Beach, Panama city area of the Florida section of the ICW (I'll be checking the charts closely over the holidays). The current thought is to go off shore out of Pensacola and sail either to Appalach... or on to Clearwater depending on conditions. Lot's of unknowns but still exciting. After our fabulous crossing of Mobile Bay we are (I am) filled with confidence and raring to go.
It is very hard for me to describe the joy and excitement that I am experiencing even in the face of the rather inclement weather that we've had to date. I know it only gets better from here but, once again, have to express my disappointment that my best friend won't be with me to enjoy it all. We've talked at length about her decision and how that "looks" for the immediate future. We've decided that she will join me as often as possible for the more "settled" parts of the trip----yeah, yeah, yeah---I have to do all the hard work---- We are both very "cool" with the plan and rumors of our impending divorce are greatly exaggerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment