From Sailboat to Trawler

From Sailboat to Trawler
M/V ENDEAVOR

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Journey Begins--Finally

At 0530 I (Dave) and our friend Dave Koplin departed Waterford Harbor for day 1 of the journey. The "plan" is now the reality. Dave and I will cruise the ICW to Intracoastal City, in Louisiana, where we will be met by another friend, Gene Wallin. Dave will then drive home in Gene's car and Gene will join me for the rest of the trip to New Orleans.
Right now, we are at anchor in Taylor Bayou, just south of Beaumont, at the southwest end of Sabine Lake (I've fixed the SPOT link--I think--so you can just click on that link to see where we are) We are anchored in about 18 feet of very pretty blue water---(you don't have to go very far to get out of the muddy brown water that we are used to in Galveston Bay) having put on around 70 statute, or 65 nautical miles today. We got to the anchorage about 1700 hrs.
It's a very nice and protected anchorage--only two problems---1: Immediately upon arrival we were met with the biggest swarm of mosquitos I've ever encountered. Even after closing ourselves in the cabin we swatted bugs for the next hour--probably killed 50 or so. Finally I found some bug spray and sprayed everywhere we thought they might be coming in and it seemed to do the trick. Peace at last----But not until we had contributed heftily to the nourishment of the bug population.
2: At 0130 on Tues an expected northerly front blew in with winds gusting as high as 30 knots. We are sitting on the hook swinging back and forth and listening to the wind howl---couldn't sleep with the wind and tension over whether or not the anchor will hold in this wind, so I'm up posting this blog at 4 AM. Oh well--I'll try to get some rack time while we're underway today.
It's really a shame about the bugs because this is truly a very nice anchorage and it would have been nice to have a sundowner in the cockpit after arrival as we watched the sunset. But then, there will be plenty of those evenings ahead.
I know it doesn't sound like a lot of fun so far, but truly the enjoyment is in the adventure---what's around the next corner, what's the weather going to do tomorrow?? What's the scenery going to be like? It really is fun---especially knowing that every day will be different. Of course I miss Diane, and am anxious for her to come aboard in N O.
What's that!!?? Quiet?? I think the wind is beginning to subside. Maybe I'll get some sleep after all. Hope so--we have another long day ahead of us tom0rrow to get to Lake Charles, Louisiana.
By the way, I've added a couple more links of blog sites of friends or acquaintances of ours doing what we are doing or about to do it. Check them out. S/V (sailing vessel) Kaleo, or "the kids" (sorry kids, but you'll soon learn how old we are and understand why we refer to you as "the kids")) as we refer to them are about a month ahead of us on the same route. Their site is really good, with lots of pics. Rusty and Linda Sitton--sittononthebeach-- went to the Exumas last winter and have been our mentors for our trip for everything from food, to navigation, to clothing--every aspect. We really owe them our gratitude. The same with Dave and Debbie Koplin. They went to Isla Mujeres and points south last year and have done the Bahamas thing previously--They've been a font of helpful information as well. Without the encouragement of these people I'm not sure we would be doing this as confidently as we are. Good night...

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to living your adventure vicariously. "Assisted Living" to me is taking a taxi, having dinner delivered and the doorman carrying my groceries. My idea of sailing is the Staten Island Ferry...Hmmmmm. Perhaps I need to broaden my horizons! You are certainly broadening YOUR horizons! Good for D & D. Love you both to bits, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahoy fellow vagabonds,

    I was wondering if you might be interested in blogging a self-interview for a site I run called "Newly Salted". It is a companion site to the Interview With A Cruiser Project.

    The instructions and directions for the interview are here:
    http://newlysalted.blogspot.com/p/get-interviewed.html

    Between the two sites I receive a few thousand visits each week. I hope you might consider participating!

    Cheers, Livia (iwac.project@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete